* Work as a Writing Tutor *
The Writing Centre needs you! We are now hiring students for next September. Join our team as a Peer Writing Tutor and
* earn a good salary while helping your fellow students
* learn valuable skills that will make you a better student
* gain professional work experience that will impress future employers
* a successful senior student? (now in your 2nd or 3rd year of an undergrad degree, or first year of a Master's)
* a good communicator?
* interested in helping others?
Please apply! Up to 6 tutor positions will be open for the next school year, Sept 2023 to April 2024. We're looking for qualified applicants from all across campus — we need tutors from Arts, Sciences, and Professional Studies. Students in any Bachelor's program or Master's program are eligible to apply. (The exception: B.Ed. students who will be absent to complete practicums.)
You don't need an extensive knowledge of writing skills, nor any previous experience teaching. We'll provide paid training before you begin to work as a tutor.
Your salary will be competitive: $15.00 per hour.
You'll work 6 hours per week during term, when you want to — so you can get your other work done.
Steps to apply:
1) Consider your suitability for this position. If you write well, are a conscientious student, and work well with people, you have the right profile for the job. (Please note that in past years the Tutor selection process has been very competitive — we generally hire students who have at least a 3.5 GPA)
2) Download the Peer Writing Tutor Employment Application form.
3) Fill out the form and collect the other required documents. Note: the downloaded form is not "fillable" on Word. You can print it, fill it out by hand, and then scan it, or save it as a PDF and use a PDF program such as Preview to complete the form on your computer.
4) When you're done, email your application as a single PDF file to email@example.com with "Writing Tutor Application" in the subject line.
All applications must be received by 12:00pm on Monday, March 27.
What follows next:
1) Applicants whose profiles are competitive will be contacted soon after the application deadline.
2) Contacted applicants will be asked to complete a writing aptitude test.
3) Applicants with the best test results will be contacted for an interview.
Finally, if you get the position, you'll be all set, knowing you have a great job for the coming year helping fellow students.